75, Othonos Str
14561 Kifissia, Greece
Τ.: 210 6231131
M.: 693 2521155
Areas of Expertise: European law, private international law, energy, sports disputes, human rights, competition – state aid, public procurement, conflict of laws, international organizations, international employee law
Arbitration Experience: in the above areas
Languages: Greek, English, French
Education: Law Degree, University of Thessaloniki; postgraduate studies in EU law, Institute of European Studies, Brussels, 1980 (Licence spéciale en droit européen); Ph.D, University of Thessaloniki, 1984 (thesis: Conflicts and EU legal order)
Professional Career: H. Tagaras is Dean and Professor of EU law, private international law and human rights at Panteion Univesrity. He is a lawyer, the vice-president of ΕSΜΑΤ and a former judge and president of section at the EU Civil Service Tribunal. In the past, he has also been involved in the following professional / scientific activities:
- 1986: Founding Member and Member of the First Steering Committee of the Union of European Lawyers (UAE) and, during 1990-1992, Chairman of the Standing Committee on Community Contracts.
- From 1991 to 2004, he was an external associate of the Ministry of Justice and its representative in the work of the European Union on judicial cooperation in civil matters.
- From November 1999 to September 2005, he was a member of the Competition Commission (resignation due to his appointment to the EU Civil Service Tribunal) and, from June 2000 to December 2002, a member of the National Telecommunications and Post Commission.
- In 2012, Founding Member and First Secretary-General (until 2015) of the Association of Old Members of the Court of Justice of the EU (Association of Member States of the European Union).
- In 2013 and 2014, President of the Disciplinary Board of the European Central Bank, Frankfurt, and, in the years 2013-2016, a member of the Appeals Board of the European Center of Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF), Reading, UK.
- In May 2014 he was selected as an ad hoc judge at the European Court of Human Rights, Strasbourg.
- Member of the Board of Directors of IDHAE, member of the International Human Rights Ludovic Trarieux Prize award committee and a corresponding member of the AIDC.